[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Peru Passport

Peru Visa

Entry Requirements : for US Citizens only

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and depart Peru. Tourists must also provide evidence of return or onward travel. U.S. citizens do not need a visa for a tourist stay of 90 days or less. U.S. citizens remaining in Peru more than 90 days must pay a monthly fee to extend their visa for up to three additional months, for a total of six months. U.S. citizens, including children, who remain in Peru over six months without obtaining a residence visa will have to pay a fine in order to depart Peru. Visitors for other than tourist or family visit purposes must obtain a Peruvian visa in advance. Business visitors should ascertain the tax and exit regulations that apply to the specific visa they are granted. U.S. citizens whose passports are lost or stolen in Peru must obtain a new passport and present it, together with a police report of the loss or theft, to the main immigration office in the capital city of Lima to obtain permission to depart. An airport tax of $25 per person must be paid in U.S. currency when departing Peru.

In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments, including Peru's, have initiated procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry/departure.

Peru's specific procedures mandate that minors (under 18) who are citizens or residents of Peru and who are traveling alone, with one parent, or with a third party, must present a copy of their birth certificate and written authorization from the absent parent(s) or legal guardian, specifically granting permission to travel alone, with one parent, or with a third party. When a parent is deceased, a notarized copy of the death certificate is required in lieu of the written authorization. If documents are prepared in the United States, the authorization and the birth certificate must be translated into Spanish, notarized, and authenticated by the Peruvian Embassy or a Peruvian consulate in the United States. If documents are prepared in Peru, only notarization by a Peruvian notary is required. This paragraph does not apply to children who enter Peru with U.S. passports as tourists, unless they hold dual U.S./Peruvian citizenship. Children born in Peru of U.S. citizen parents (except diplomats) are also considered to be Peruvian citizens and must obtain Peruvian passports in order to depart Peru.

Peru June 17, 2002

This Public Announcement is being issued to supplement the Public Announcement of April 19, and it reflects the Government of Peru's imposition of a State of Emergency in Arequipa, Peru's second-largest city. This Public Announcement expires on July 17, 2002.

On June 13, demonstrations broke out in Arequipa in protest of the planned privatization of two state-owned electric utilities. These demonstrations became violent on June 15. There have been many injured, and at least one death. In response, the Government of Peru announced a State of Emergency in Arequipa on June 16, sending in military units to restore order. Under the State of Emergency, the authorities have expanded powers to act to restore order, including suspension of some constitutional rights.

American citizens traveling to or residing in Peru may wish to defer plans to travel to Arequipa for the time being. While there are no reports of U.S. citizens being targets of the disturbances, a number of Americans were stranded at the Arequipa airport, and had to be airlifted out by Peruvian military forces. Commercial air service has been disrupted since June 16, but it is expected to resume within a day or two. Americans in Arequipa should stay close to home or their hotels, avoid crowds, and monitor the news closely.

Passport Requirement for Peru :

Valid passport required by all except nationals of Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador entering certain regions of Peru. Citizens of these countries are advised to contact their nearest Peruvian Consulate before travelling.

Countries Passport Visa
British Required1
Australian Required1
Canadian Required1
USA Required1
OtherEU Required1
Japanese Required1

Consular Access - US Embassy And Consulates

[an error occurred while processing this directive]